A simple way to share and pray well in small groups
I’m regularly on the lookout for new and interesting ways to promote deeper relationships in a group setting. There are loads of mixer questions you can find online, and some of these can be pretty helpful for kicking off a conversation.
Lately in our group, we’ve been attempting to ask interesting questions while at the same time raising our awareness to consider topics for prayer that don’t often cross our minds. Here’s a list of questions we discussed in getting to know each other better (and hearing some fascinating stories along the way), and how this has then guided us to pray for particular ministries or aspects of our world that are often neglected in our prayers.
We use these to help kick off our Bible study time together. I hope you might find this list useful. I’d love to hear suggestions if you have more to add to the list!
- What did you want to be when you grow up?
Pray for the children in our church
- What is one memory you have of primary school
Pray for those involved in schools ministry – Scripture teachers, chaplains, teachers
- What’s one piece of advice you remember from your grandparents?
Pray for those who are elderly
- What was you favourite subject at school?
Pray for school teachers
- What is one good/terrible sporting memory you have?
Thank God for sport; pray for sportspeople and their difficulties; pray for Christian sportspeople.
- If you were your boss, what would you change this week?
Pray for your bosses.
- What’s your favourite book apart from the Bible? (childhood or recent).
Thank God for gift of stories and language; pray for Bible translators.
- What would be the two foods you would want to eat if you were trapped on an island?
Thank God for farmers; pray for ministry in rural areas.
- If you could create a new law, what would it be?
Pray for our justice system, for police & courts.
- If you had to save one thing from your home in a fire, what would it be?
Pray for our fire fighters
- What is your favourite chocolate?
Thank God for the gift of food and creative cooks.
- What is your favourite type of tree? Or a memorable tree in your life?
Thank God for trees, nature and creation.
- What would be the worst thing about prison for you?
Pray for prison ministry, for those working sharing the gospel with inmates, for prisoner rehabilitation.
- What’s a song that has special meaning to you?
Thank God for the gift of music in our lives.